• Slideshow Widget

    {Feature Friday!}

    Apr 8, 2011

    Stevie Rae Photography





    1.  Tell us a little bit about YOU.

    I am a late twenty-something photographer based out of Fargo, North Dakota. I started out shooting primarily fashion and model portfolios, however I was inspired to branch out into children's and family portraiture once I learned I was having a child of my own. Today I will photograph almost any kind of portraiture, but my main passion is still conceptual fashion work.




    2.  How did you get into photography?

    I started out as a model and was inspired by the photographers who took my photos. I still do some modeling work, but I prefer being behind the camera most of the time.




    3. Are you doing photography as a business or a hobby?

    I have been in business as Stevie Rae Photography since 2006.





    4.  What is your favorite subject to photgraph?  Why?

    FASHION. I am in love with the entire process--conceptualizing, shopping for props, hair and makeup, the wears, the shooting, the processing. The entire industry is highly addictive and inspiring to me.





    5.  Who is your inspiration?  Do you have any favorite photographers?

    David La Chapelle, number one, hands down. I also love the works of Annie Leibovitz, Herb Ritts, Helmut Newton, Steven Meisel... I could go on and on. I am also very much inspired by music; the idea of directing a music video has always appealed to me--someday I wouldn't mind trying my hand at it.





    6.  What tips/advice do you have about photography and/or running your own business?

    Skill and experience are number one. Yes, you can have a passion for the field, but I still feel it is 100% necessary to invest in yourself. Attend workshops, second shoot for an established photographer, learn, learn, LEARN. Practice makes perfect, and in order to have a successful business, you must be able to consistently deliver exceptional photos to each and every client. You MUST have the technical skills to work in all different situations. It's also very important to have a business plan, and to realize that 90% of the work is business related. A very small part of it is actually taking the photos. The rest is all about paperwork, invoicing, processing, ordering prints, communicating with clients, bookkeeping, marketing, advertising, backing up data, designing new materials, etc..It can get very overwhelming at times and it's important to maintain a certain balance. I often struggle with finding the time both for my family and my career. It's a lot of late nights and it's definitely not always fun.





    7.  Tell us a strange or interesting fact about you.

    I have never broken a single bone in my body [unless you include the time I was hit in the mouth by a flying domino and chipped my tooth]. Also, I cannot do handstands, whistle, roll my tongue, play badminton, or cook [although I swear it's my oven, not me]. ;)