• Slideshow Widget

    {Feature Friday!}

    Jan 21, 2011

    Amber Miller
    AM Photography
    Serving Davis (and surround areas), Utah



    1.  Tell Us About YOU.
    My name is Amber and I'm a single mother to an overactive 2 year old.  Her name is Maddison Dale and she's my wild card  :)   I currently work part time at Old Navy to support my shopping addiction (but it's not helping!  lol)



    2.  How did you get into photography?  
    Ok, so I'm not one of those people who dreamed of this their entire lives and knew it's exactly what they wanted to do.  In fact, photography never crossed my mind until I had my daughter.  I studied things like dance, fashion merchandising, etc. in High School.  But after I had my daughter, I just started taking TONS of photos of her.  She was gorgeous, how could I not?  ;)   I realized I wanted to take it to the next level and learn as much as I could!  I didn't have the money to hire someone so I thought, "well, I can do it!"  :)  And it all really took off from there!


    3.   Are you doing photography as a business or a hobby?
    I'm proud to say that I took my photography to the next level in November of 2009!  It's a crazy and scary feeling, but I'm so glad I get to call this my career!  Like I said though, I do have another part time job, but I can't wait for the day when I can live off of my photography  ;)


    4.   What is your favorite subject to photograph?  Why?
    I would definitely have to say NEWBORNS!!  I love everything about them, from their fuzzy little bodies right down to those little piggies.   It really helps when you're getting baby hungry too!  I get to swaddle them, cuddle them, feed them, and then hand them right back to mom and dad for the dirty diapers and the crying!  ;)



    5.   Who is your inspiration?  Do you have any favorite photographers?
    Ok, I'll try to keep this under 10!  lol   I have different favorites for different subjects and then some all around favorites!  First, I LOVE  Bobbi+Mike for their wedding photography.  I also ADORE April Cooper Photography for her work with newborns!  Another favorite of mine is Meshelle Photography!  She reminds me of me (or who I want to be!)  :)  A few of my other favorites are Meghan Rickard Photography, Laura Farris (another great newborn photographer!), Marissa Vargason Photography, Kristen Caldwell Photography, and Ashley Morgan Photography!  Just to name a few  ;)



    6.   What tips/advice do you have about photography and running your own business?
    First, I just want to say, DON'T JUMP IN UNTIL YOU'RE READY!  It can be extremely overwhelming and discouraging at first.  You need to be very dedicated and can't give up!  This is not a 'get rich quick' job.  You have to put as much heart, sweat, and tears as you do time and money.

    Second, if you want to run a professional business, you need to be professional.  One thing I've noticed with photographers and their websites or blogs are misused or misspelled words.  If you don't know what a word means or how to spell it, don't try to use it.  It really devalues your work.  You may take AMAZING photos, but who wants to hire someone that says accept instead of except?  Have somebody proofread anything and everything before you publish it!  And no, spell check does not count!!  lol



    7.   Tell us a strange or interesting fact about you.
    My skin is very 'stretchy'.  I know it sounds weird, but it's true! lol  My family says I look like pinnochio because I can stretch my nose out!   :)